Transfer from Brentford (TW8) to London City Airport So as to spend a great time in Brentford, you have to go to one of the pubs in the town. The Albany Arms is located on the Albany Road. Both the landlord and the staff are friendly and welcoming and they will serve you with real…
Transfer from Brentford (TW8) to Luton Airport The Hardwicks was the most famous family in Brentford. They lived in the area in the 18th and 19th century. It was a son and father architectural partnership. Thomas Hardwick Senior lived there from 1725 till 1798. Thomas Hardwick Junior inhabited Brentford between 1752 and 1829. Their tombs…
Transfer from Brentford (TW8) to Stansted Airport Brentford is home to a famous local fair that has been granted in 1900. It is held annually, in September and it features a wide array of attractions for both adults and children. A major landmark located in the town is the Brentford Dock. It is one of…
Transfer from Brentford (TW8) to Gatwick Airport
The Brentford horn-cap is the most famous Iron Age artefact found in Brentford. It dates from 100BC – AD 50. The horn-cap represents a chariot fitting that was included in the large collection of Thomas Layton. The Brentford horn-cap is now housed in the Museum of London. There is modern jewellery that features the Brentford Knot, a Celtic pattern that was featured on the horn-cap.
It is believed that in 54 BC, when Julius Caesar invaded Britain, he crossed the Thames in Brentford because it was easily fordable. He even noted this episode in one of its journals. He wrote that there were numerous sharp stakes that protected the river bank. These oak stakes were discovered when the Brentford Dock was built. They were immediately removed because they obstructed the navigation. The Brentford Monument located near the County Courts asserts that the settlement was the battlefield for Cassivellaunus and Caesar’s forces. Later, in 1642 and 1016, Brentford has been home to two other important battles.
Transfer from Brentford (TW8) to Heathrow Airport
The town of Brentford is located in the Hounslow London Borough, western London. It sits at the confluence between River Brent and River Thames and it is only 8 miles away from Charing Cross. It used to be part of the Middlesex County and the ancient parishes of Hanwell and Ealing. In 1927, it was united with Chiswick and in 1932, it became a municipal borough. Since 1965, it was incorporated in the Greater London area.
In the 8th century, it was known as Breguntford. It is an Anglo – Saxon term meaning ford located over the Brent River. The river has a Celtic name and it signifies “the holy one”. The old ford was situated where the current road crosses the Brent River. In 1521, New Brentford was known as Newe Braynford and before that it was called Westbraynford. In 1476, Old Brentford was called Old Braynford. Previously, it was named Estbraynford.
The settlement dates before the Roman occupation and it is older than London. In and around Brentford, the archaeologists have found numerous pre – Roman artifacts, such as Bronze Age burnt flints and pottery.