Transfer from South Lambeth (SW8) to London City Airport
South Lambeth was featured in a poem written by William Blake. It’s called Milton a Poem and it is about John Milton, the poet, who travels to Lambeth. In 1726, South Lambeth opened a workhouse. The parliamentary report from 1777 stated that the workhouse accommodated 270 inmates. The formation of the Lambeth Poor Law Parish happened in 1835 and it comprised the St Mary parish and the churches of Norwood, Brixton, Kennington, Waterloo and St John.
The major attraction in South Lambeth is the Lambeth Palace, accommodating the Archbishop of Canterbury. It sits between the Lambeth Road and the Lambeth Palace Road and it features both large gardens and a public park. The Lambeth Palace Library is accommodated inside the palace. It dates from 1610 and it features a wide array of materials related with the ecclesiastical history of the area. There are also other collections presenting the history of architecture and art and the economic, political and social history of England.